Additional Trip Information
What to Bring:
For every trip you need:
- Footwear – sandals w/ toe and ankle straps, water shoes, sneakers (flip-flops not recommended and not allowed on more aggressive trips)
- Bathing suit or shorts
- Change of clothes and shoes for after trip
- If you wish to bring a water bottle, please have a way to attach the bottle to the raft (small carabiner is best)
- Face coverings are required in our buildings, on bus/van ride to and from the river, at public launch and take-out areas during the trip. Guests may wear face coverings during the raft trip except where doing so may introduce a safety hazard. Buffs and bandanas are two of the best types of face coverings for rafting. You may want to have multiple face coverings as one will likely get wet during the raft trip.
Items for spring/fall & cool/rainy days:
- ***Avoid cotton clothing – it cools the body when wet!
- For feet: wool or fleece socks. Very important in spring!
- For torso and legs: performance apparel (Under Armour, Dri-Fit), wool, fleece, capilene, polypropylene
- Outer layer: wind jacket and pants are great for shedding water and can be worn over a wetsuit or fleece
Clean, comfortable wetsuits and wetsuit boots will always be available for rent. Fleece and synthetics are extra warm under wetsuits and wetsuit boots. Wind jackets and pants can be worn over wetsuits to shed water and add warmth.
Crab Apple on the Deerfield houses a fun store where you may purchase photos of your trip, a fine selection of apparel and souvenirs. A snack bar is also available with ice cream, snacks, soda, beer and wine. Store and snack bar are modified for 2020 season.
Medications / Physical Limitations:
Always bring medications which you may need on the river i.e. asthma inhaler, bee sting kit, etc. Pregnant women, persons with a heart condition and anyone with a medical problem that could be affected by the heat, cold, exertion, excitement, etc. of a raft trip may not raft. We reserve the right to refuse anyone the opportunity to participate in any of our adventures because of a medical, physical or size limitation that we feel might expose them to extreme risk. Life jackets fit a chest size up to 58 inches. Contact our office with questions concerning these policies.
For 2020, all rafters will be asked to confirm that they do not have COVID-19 and have not experienced any Covid-19 symptoms in the last 14 days and have not had any close contact with any person with Covid-19 in the last 14 days.
Local Accommodations and Attractions:
Go to our listing of Local Accommodations and Attractions for campgrounds, B&B’s, motels, hotels, inns and other local attractions.
All rafters will be required to sign a waiver of liability before enjoying one of our trips. The two page waiver will be emailed in a link to the reservation holder who will forward the waiver to everyone in the party to e-sign. Paper waivers will be available upon check-in if waivers have not been completed electronically. Waiver
Massachusetts Accommodations & Local Attractions
Giovanni’s Red Rose Motel Charlemont, Ma 413-625-2666
Hampton Inn and Suites-Save 15% – Ask for Special Hampton Rate for Crab Apple guests Greenfield, M 413-773-0057
Holiday Inn North Adams, Ma 413-663-6500
Best Western Northampton, Ma 413-586-1500
Red Roof Inn Save 15% – Use promo code 617878 for Special Crab Apple Rate South Deerfield, Ma 413-665-7161
Country Inn Suites Holyoke, Ma 413-533-2100
Penfry Farm B&B Colrain, Ma 413-624-5516 Corner Porches B&B Ashfield, Ma 413-628-4592
Maple House B & B Rowe, Ma 413-339-0107
Johnson Homestead Shelburne Falls, Ma 413-625-6603
Kenburn Orchards B & B Shelburne, Ma 413-625-6116
The Nestle Inn Conway, Ma 413-268-8414
Birds Nest B&B Buckland, Ma 413-625-9523
Heaven’s Haven Charlemont, Ma 413-339-4274
Cavalier Cottage Pet Friendly Charlemont, Ma 413-625-2262
Group Retreat Accommodations:
Stump Sprouts Lodge Charlemont, Ma 413-339-4265
\Mello’s Retreat Center Jacksonville, Vt 802-368-2977
Remington Lodge Cummington, Ma 413-624-5493
Mt Snow Ski Resort West Dover, Vt 800-498-0479
Country Inn at Jiminy Peak Hancock, Ma 800-882-8859
Deerfield Inn South Deerfield, Ma 413-774-5587
Clarion Hotel and Conference Center Northampton, Ma 413-586-1211
Gateways Inn Lenox, Ma 413-637-2532
Brandt House Inn Greenfield, Ma 413-774-3329
West Winds Inn Greenfield, Ma 413-774-4025
Country Aire Campground Charlemont, Ma 413-625-2996
Peppermint Park Plainfield, Ma 413-634-5385
Savoy State Park Savoy, Ma 413-663-8469
Barton Cove Turners Falls, Ma 413-863-9300
Serenity Stone Cottage Heath, MA 802-368-7855
Clark Art Institute Williamstown, Ma 413-458-2303
Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art North Adams, Ma 413-662-2211
Norman Rockwell Museum Stockbridge, Ma 413-498-4100
Outdoor Activities & Adventure
Ramblewild Aerial Adventure Park Lanesborough, Ma 413-499-9914
Jiminy Peak Outdoor Park Hancock, Ma 800-882-8859
Berkshire Horseback Adventures Lenox, Ma 413-637-9090