Your Day on the Kennebec River Half-Day Family Raft Trip
Meeting Time and Place:
1:45pm at Crab Apple on the Kennebec - The Forks, Maine
GPS, Mapquest and Google Maps are all inaccurate in our area.
Please consult a map and follow the directions below for easy travel to Crab Apple.
From Points South:
I-95 North to Exit 133 Waterville, Maine. Turn Right onto Rte 201 North. Follow Rte 201 North approximately 12 miles to Skowhegan until Rte 2 and Rte 201 intersection. Turn right at traffic light and follow signs around rotary for Rte 201 North. Follow Rte 201 North through Skowhegan and then Bingham (23 miles to The Forks).
In The Forks look for our signs and the bridge crossing the Kennebec.
Take right turn before bridge at Lake Moxie Road and then enter second driveway on right.
- Meet at 1:30pm
- Lifejacket and helmet fitting - (all guests must wear a Personal Floating Device issued by Crab Apple)
- Safety lecture and paddling instruction
- Paddle 3 miles in Class I-II whitewater
- Riverside snack
- Paddle 5 miles in Class I-II whitewater
- Take out and ride back to Crab Apple
- Hot showers, hot tubs and change clothes
- Departure by approximately 4:30pm
What to Bring:
For every trip you need:
- Bathing suit or shorts
- Footwear-old sneakers or sandals with straps
- Change of clothes and shoes for after trip
Items for spring and fall & cool or rainy days:
- ***Avoid cotton clothing - it cools the body when wet!
- For feet: wool / fleece socks. Very important in spring!
- For torso and legs: performance wear (Under Armour), wool, fleece, capilene, polypropylene
- Outer layer: wind jacket and pants are great for shedding water and can be worn over a wetsuit or fleece
Clean, comfortable wetsuits and wetsuit boots will always be available for rent. Fleece and synthetics are extra warm under wetsuits and wetsuit boots. Wind jackets and pants can be worn over wetsuits to shed water and add warmth.
Crab Apple on the Kennebec houses a fun store where you may purchase a fine selection of apparel and souvenirs. Our pub and restaurant will also be open for relaxing after trips.
Medications / Physical Limitations:
Always bring medications which you may need on the river i.e. asthma inhaler, bee sting kit, etc.
Pregnant women, persons with a heart condition and anyone with a medical problem that could be affected by the heat, cold, exertion, excitement, etc. of a raft trip may not raft. We reserve the right to refuse anyone the opportunity to participate in any of our adventures because of a medical, physical or size limitation that we feel might expose them to extreme risk. Life jackets fit up to a 58 inch chest size. Contact our office with questions concerning these policies.
Crab Apple on the Kennebec offers you a comfortable, hassle-free stay in our suites, lodge, cabins and campsites. Local campgrounds, B&B's and motels may also be suggested.
All rafters will be required to sign a waiver of liability before enjoying one of our trips. Download it here and bring it in completed the day of the trip to save time. Waiver