Deerfield River -
Monroe Bridge Section
- Minimum age 15
- 5 miles
- 2.5 hours river time
- Class III-IV whitewater
- Awesome cookout lunch
Your Day on the Deerfield River Monroe Bridge Section
Crab Apple Whitewater 2056 Mohawk Trail Charlemont, Massachusetts
This trip meets at different times - check your confirmation for your trip time and plan to arrive comfortably before the trip time.
a map along with our directions. Please be on time as
we must work within the schedule of water releases decided on by the power company.
Note: GPS, Mapquest and Google Maps are all inaccurate in our area.
Please consult a map and follow the directions below for easy travel to Crab Apple.
- Check in at appropriate time
- Lifejacket and helmet fitting - (all guests must wear a Personal Floatation Device and helmet issued by Crab Apple)
- Safety lecture and paddling instruction
- Bus ride to Monroe Bridge dam
- Raft 1 1/2 hours in continuous Class II-III whitewater
- Riverside snack
- Raft 1 hour in class III-IV whitewater
- Take out and ride back to Crab Apple
- Delicious steak, chicken, fish or vegetarian option cookout
- Slide presentation of trip
*Trip itinerary could be altered to accommodate dam release time.
What to Bring:
For every trip you need:
- Bathing suit or shorts
- Footwear - sandals w/straps, water shoes, sneakers (flip-flops not recommended)
- Change of clothes and shoes for after trip
Items for spring/fall & cool/rainy days:
- ***Avoid cotton clothing-it cools the body when wet!
- For feet: wool/fleece socks. Very important in spring!
- For torso and legs: performance apparel (Under Armour), wool, fleece, capilene, polypropylene
- Outer layer: wind jacket and pants are great for shedding water and can be worn over a wetsuit or fleece
Clean, comfortable wetsuits and wetsuit boots will always be available for rent. Fleece and synthetics are extra warm under wetsuits and wetsuit boots. Wind jackets and pants can be worn over wetsuits to shed water and add warmth.
Crab Apple on the Deerfield houses a fun store where you may purchase photos of your trip, a fine selection of apparel and souvenirs. A snack bar is also available with ice cream, snacks, soda, beer and wine.
Medications / Physical Limitations:
Always bring medications which you may need on the river i.e. asthma inhaler, bee sting kit, etc. Pregnant women, persons with a heart condition and anyone with a medical problem that could be affected by the heat, cold, exertion, excitement, etc. of a raft trip may not raft. We reserve the right to refuse anyone the opportunity to participate in any of our adventures because of a medical, physical or size limitation that we feel might expose them to extreme risk. Contact our office with questions concerning these policies.
Go to our listing of Local Accommodations for campgrounds, B&B's, motels, hotels and Inns.
All rafters will be required to sign a waiver of liability before enjoying one of our trips. Download it here and bring it in completed the day of the trip to save time. Waiver
Invite Your friends - trip organization tool
Use our online tool to invite friends on an upcoming adventure!Start Your Search
Commonly Asked QuestionsView Our Full FAQs